Inner Forestay

General discussion, questions and comments about the new Dufour series
NDH

Inner Forestay

Post by NDH » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 am

We have the inner forestay on our 40 performance but have never used it. Apart from storm jib, do others use it and when does it come in useful.

Michael Boe
Site Admin

Post by Michael Boe » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:11 pm

We used it for "wing-to-wing" sailing in the tradewinds toward the Carabien.

We sailed our 385 with 6.6 knots average from the Canaries to Barbados, and sailed most of the time with the wind pretty much dead downwind. We dropped the main, so it would not wear on the spreaders/rigging, and used two sails "in the front" poled by genoa pole in one side and by main boom to the other side side. It worked beutifully..

We would sail gennaker on bow sprit + furling genoa, or furling genoa in combination with a smaller genoa on the inner forestay. The furling genoa would in both combinations allow for sail size adjustment "on the fly".

We carry a stay sail and a storm jib to be used on the inner forestay, in tuff conditions, but have not had the need yet.

I also liked the "extra life" and stability of the inner forestay under other conditions.

nicknack

Inner forestay

Post by nicknack » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I have a jockey pole 3.5m long on my GL325. I use the inner forestay as an uphaul to support the outer end of the pole when goosewinged.

I have also used it, of course, to take the storm jib.

Benno

Post by Benno » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:35 am

bringing our D40P in the beginning of July to South Brittany we used the innerstay with working job and one reef in the main.
It sailed very comfortable.
The good thing is that you can easy change from worling jib to genua and with working jib there will be less water in the front sail.
Benno Kleerekoper

KENOBI

Post by KENOBI » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Benno, did you need to reinforce the deck to mount the inner forestay ???

Thanks

KENOBI

Benno

Post by Benno » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 am

No, the deck is already reinforced. There are 2 wichard connections on the deck, specialy for this job.
The mast is also prepared for a inner forstay and the rope to hoist the sail is also prepared.
All is very easy to install.
Benno Kleerekoper

Roorda

Post by Roorda » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 am

Hi

this is good news to hear that reinforcements are foreseen.
What is the size of your working jib? I have a 40E with a long mast
(Size I of the genua is 15,30m, in stead of 14.85 m for the std mast)
Do you know the I size for the inner forestay? and what sail cloth did you choose?
Did you also mount a 2nd pair of genua rollers on the genua tracks? for sheeting?

regards

Benno

inner forestay

Post by Benno » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:46 am

Sorry, I don't have the measserments of the jib.
The importcompany of Dufour made the inner forstay and then the sailmaker just made the sale.
It's a dagron sail (not laminate like the rest of the sails) en I hank it on.
The sail is till the stay's, so no overlap (high aspect working jib) and the clew is nearly at the same hight as the boom. So it loosses water very well.

At each side I have 2 genuarollers.
The fist one (for the genua) is adjustable during sailing from the cockpit by line. The return block sits at the same hight as the shroud chainplate.
The second roller (for the working jib) is in front of that and is only adjustable by hand.

When we do long tours at sea I always have the innerstay in place and the working jib hanged on. The sheets of both, genua and workingjib are then present. So I can choose dependable of the circumstances.

When we do daytrips during the weekends, the innerstay is fixed on the front of the starboard genua track.

Well, good luck with this.
Benno Kleerekoper

Puddle Sailor

Re: Inner Forestay

Post by Puddle Sailor » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks for sharing your arrangement for the inner forestay.

How have you arranged for parking of the forestay when not in use? What hardware have you used?
Is it always out of the way or is there a drawback of having to deal with the parked stay?

When tightening the the forestay for sailing. How do you know how hard to set it?

Have you seen any cracks or damage due to overload of the foredeck resulting from the pull of the extra stay?
(Should I consider reinforcing the deck before installing an inner forcestay?)

Is there anything you would have done differently if installing an inner forestay on another boat?

Best Regards
Jan

Benno

Re: Inner Forestay

Post by Benno » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm

in the front of the starboard genuatrack I have a screwable bould (some kind of a ring), screwd to the track. the inner forstay is just conncted by strap. very simple, but effective.
the only drawback is that you have to fix the innerstay in-time. on a dancing deck (big waves) it's hard to fix the stay to the spanner and the spanner to the deck. no fun for a pensionada!
the rest is without any hashard.
Benno Kleerekoper