Genset

Equipment to your Dufour Grand Large. Which stuff works - and where to get it..
janik

Genset

Post by janik » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:37 am

Hello!

I, or do I say my wife, wants a genset in our 455 to be able to take a hot shower when no shore power is available.

Have anyone of you 455 owners mounted a genset? What type did you mount, and where did you mount it?

Regards
Jan Erik Larsen
S/Y Bella Donna 455 GL

Alyssa

Mastervolt generator

Post by Alyssa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 am

We have a Mastervolt Whisper 3.5 installed on our two-cabin 385GL....

http://www.mastervolt.com/com/53/produc ... haust.html

It is installed in the aft of the (large!) port cockpit locker. Not sure how easy it would have been to instal in a three-cabin boat.

The generator primarily provides power for two Webasto air-conditioning units installed (for Mediterannean crusing), but it's wired into the mains system so can also be used for battery charging etc etc

Not quite in the Med yet (will be in another month or two) so have not used it very much. So far am generally pleased.

If it's really only required to produce hot water I would guess that a much smaller (and cheaper!) portable petrol generator (eg Honda) might be more suitable.

Dave
s/y Alyssa
(currently in Lagos, Portugal)

hjelte

Diesel generator in 455

Post by hjelte » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi. Here in Sweden we have evaluated the possibility to install a diesel generator in a 455. There is enough space in the compartment behind the aft bulkhead in the SB aft cabin, but to bring a bulky generator to this position after the boat is built is very tricky. You probably need to bring the chain saw to open the bulkhead to bring this equipment in this compartment. If you look at the 455 manuals to see the Dufour view, their advice is to install it in the forward storage compartment in front of the owners cabin.
Here in Sweden you can buy a diesel water heater (Webasto) that can heat both the boat and the water. This solution must be easier and more costefficient.
Rolf

Chara

Re: Mastervolt generator

Post by Chara » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Alyssa wrote:We have a Mastervolt Whisper 3.5 installed on our two-cabin 385GL....

http://www.mastervolt.com/com/53/produc ... haust.html

It is installed in the aft of the (large!) port cockpit locker. Not sure how easy it would have been to instal in a three-cabin boat.

The generator primarily provides power for two Webasto air-conditioning units installed (for Mediterannean crusing), but it's wired into the mains system so can also be used for battery charging etc etc

Not quite in the Med yet (will be in another month or two) so have not used it very much. So far am generally pleased.

If it's really only required to produce hot water I would guess that a much smaller (and cheaper!) portable petrol generator (eg Honda) might be more suitable.

Dave
s/y Alyssa
(currently in Lagos, Portugal)

Hamble Marine Surveys

Post by Hamble Marine Surveys » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi there,

I have overseen the installation of a 4kw genset installed in the forward sail locker on a 3 cabin Dufour 455. The installation was achieved by placing the genset on the portside of the sail locker and a box fabricated arounds the genset so that it could be used for a step and to protect the unit when sails/dinghies are stowed in the locker. I recall the exhaust system was installed high up on the starboard side of the same locker. The exhaust exited the hull on the starboard side in way of the locker.

Regards,

Julian Smith
10 years experience working with Dufour Yachts in UK. Marine Consultant and Surveyor offering marine services worldwide. www.hamblemarinesurveys.com