Engine Hose Chafe

General discussion, questions and comments about the Grand Large series
brucep
Engine Hose Chafe

Post by brucep » Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Just wanted to post a bit of a warning. I'm about to enter my third season with my 385 (I've owned her for 2 years) and I've just discovered that there's been significant chafe on every hose in the engine compartment that has any contact with the engine.

I don't know if it's because the saildrive produces more or a different sort of vibration (I have the 40 hp Volvo MD 2040) but the chafe exceeds what I've seen or experienced on other boats. Some of it was just down to stupidity (Volvo or Dufour anchored some hoses to the engine with cable ties), but some other hoses were where you'd expect them to be; some contact between hoses and the engine is inevitable).

No real harm done, yet, though the raw water hoses were membrane-thin in spots and it could have been quite bad had they begun to leak at some critical time (like when I really needed the engine to avoid a lee shore !).

Nothing earth shaking here, regular inspection of all engine hoses is recommended, but the degree of chafe warrants some vigilance.

Michael Boe
Site Admin

Post by Michael Boe » Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks for the most relevant warning, Bruce.

How many engine hours do you have?

brucep

Post by brucep » Mon May 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Michael.

I had to get to the boat and look; I now have 235 engine hours.

Bruce

Michael Boe
Site Admin

Post by Michael Boe » Mon May 12, 2008 5:41 pm

uhh... very similar to our engine hours.. No need to postpone inspections!

Thanks.