Minor Changes for Racing

Primarily a cruiser, but she's not at all slow...
John G Smith

Minor Changes for Racing

Post by John G Smith » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:48 pm

I own Silver Paws which I race at club level with an IRC of .971 though most of our racing is local we did race from St Helier to La Rochelle in 2006 and last year took part in the Tour des Ports de La Manche series. This year our clubs Long offshore race is from St Helier to La Trinite Sur
Mer ( course will be varied to allow for a distance of 350 miles ).

Since owning Silver Paws I have made several minor changes which others may find usefull

1. Changed the fixed bladed prop for a standard 2 bladed folding prop from Volvo

2. Fitted a Raymarine ST60+ Graphic on the starboard helm which gives me access to data on that helm via Sea Talk

3. We had the extra winch fitted from new on the port side of the coach roof but I have 5 cluches on each side, I changed the Spinlock 4 lead deck organisers to a Spinlock T50/5Y this allows me to lead 5 lines back each side without doubling up on organisers

4. I fitted a clutch on the starboard side just forward of the pushpit ( in a similar position to the one on the port side ) this allows me to lead the tack line back to the cockpit through a Harken 40mm Carbo block (2651) which is fastened around the starboard mid cleat

5. Made my Genoa cars towable

6. I use a purchase between the backstays to tension the forestay

I would like to here from any one esle who races to exchange views, at present I am currently playing with a Loos Tension guage trying to set my rig tension

After all this you might ask why I didnt buy a racing boat? the answer is quite simple the Dufour 385 is a great boat to sail

vandevyver

Post by vandevyver » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi John,

could you please elaborate on

5. Made my Genoa cars towable
Is it just a matter of placing the right blocks at the end of the rail, or should the complete rail be replaced?

6. I use a purchase between the backstays to tension the forestay
What is a puchase? Is it a system to pull the backstays together?

Thank you for the extra information
Luc

John G Smith

Post by John G Smith » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi Luc

5. not sure if you have got Harken or Goiot track, No you do not need to replace the track in either case you should be able to obtain a block for the forward end of the tracks, at the aft end of the track I have fixed Spinlock PX0308 cam cleats

6. Yes, the purchase I have used is just like a small dinghy kicking strap and it purely pulls the 2 back stays together

hope this helps, if you need more info contact me

regards

John

vandevyver

Post by vandevyver » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:18 pm

John,

5. not sure if you have got Harken or Goiot track, No you do not need to replace the track in either case you should be able to obtain a block for the forward end of the tracks, at the aft end of the track I have fixed Spinlock PX0308 cam cleats
I've got Harken.
I did not check with Harken yet, but my Dufour dealer says the rails can not be equiped with a block on the front end.

Did you mount one?
Is it a block on the rail itself or did you fix a block on the deck, just in front of the rail?
I it is on the Harken rail, do yo still have the part-number available?

Thanks
Luc

John G Smith

Post by John G Smith » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi Luc

My tracks are Goit and I was able to purchase a fittings for the end of the track. Log onto the Harken web site (examples of the fittings are 1844 or B1877) you will need to know your track width and section ( there may be a part no on the track ).

deal with Harken dirrect the Belgium / Holland agent is On-Deck b. v.

www.on-deck.nl

hope this helps