International Dufour Grand Large and Dufour Performance Forum Forum Index International Dufour Grand Large and Dufour Performance Forum
For owners, users and anybody interested in the New Dufour Series. You are welcome to register and post!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dufor 405GL Lower Rudder Bearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Dufour Grand Large and Dufour Performance Forum Forum Index -> Common Tecnical Issues - Dufour Grand Large & Dufour Performance Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaCle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Dufor 405GL Lower Rudder Bearing Reply with quote

Hi all.
My lower rudder bearing is out of Place. Does anyone have hade the same problems and could give me some advice on how to proceed with this. Should I remove the rudder and change the bearings, or is there some other suggestion.

/LaCle
jcjglt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dufor 405GL Lower Rudder Bearing Reply with quote

I had very serious problems with my rudder assembly on my Dufour 375GL, which could have led to a lost of the boat in high seas and I explained the procedure followed to repair the boat in this thread :

http://www.boefamily.dk/dufour/viewtopic.php?t=1049
"375GL : serious alarm about the rudder".

The most important parts of my repair were :
1. a new spacer under the hull ;
2. the replacement of the very thin and weak ertalon part, which fastens the rudder assembly inside the boat by a massive stainless steel part.

jcjglt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dufor 405GL Lower Rudder Bearing Reply with quote

I think your problem is very serious and you should repair your boat before sailing her again in high seas.

LaCle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Dufor 405GL Lower Rudder Bearing Reply with quote

Thanx for the advise and for explaining the procedure in the other thread. I have the exact same problem, a vertical slack of 5-10mm.
They must have forgotten the spacer on mine too. Its from 2011 also! Coincident?? I will try to mimic your solution, but I may have to change bearings also, did you had to do anything with them or was they ok?

/LaCle
jcjglt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dufor 405GL Lower Rudder Bearing Reply with quote

I did not have to change the lower bearing which was still in place. I was sailing my boat from New Caledonia to Australia (1000 NM crossing) in medium conditions : crossed sea with 2 meter waves, bearing, speed reaching 7.5 knots the the banging of the rudder assembly started to be quite hard. I was with a professional skipper and we decided to turn back, suspecting, if we continued this one week crossing, experience a failure of the junction between the hull and the rudder post (GRP tube in which the rudder assembly turns) due to the heavy hammering and possibly have salt water invading the boat.
Well to sum up my solution was to have an ertalon washer built locally and have the upper thin ertalon stopper replaced by a much thicker stopper. Having no Dufour support locally I took this essential repair to my charge with local workers I could trust.

jcjglt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaCle : Did you repair your rudder assembly ? Were my informations useful ? And did you read that : http://boefamily.dk/dufour/viewtopic.php?t=1013 ?
Just amazing to see another Dufour sailboat with the same problem, which could have sent me to the floor of the Pacific Ocean.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Dufour Grand Large and Dufour Performance Forum Forum Index -> Common Tecnical Issues - Dufour Grand Large & Dufour Performance Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: