Poor Quality of new Dufour Yacht

Seeking advice for a project or do you want to share the outcome of one? Various technical tips and questions.
hloerch

Poor Quality of new Dufour Yacht

Post by hloerch » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:26 am

Hello
I would like to you know about your experience with new Dufour Yachts.
Mine is horrible. I bought last year one of the last Dufour 450 GL in Spain at the Dufour dealer.

Here my experience in the first 12 month:
- First sail in a bit bumpy weather all the drawer in the pantry flow in the salon
- Rollers on the boom lost during sailing
- Plate in panty was like banana. My wife uptight her toed.
Dufour delivered a new one, but in a total other color. They delivered a second one , again wrong color. I sent fotos with the color. The answer was,
My color is not available after one year. I thought this must be a joke.
- Diesel Tank clock shows always 100%

My dealer fixed round about a duzen of other issues e.g. light in cabine, brake of rudder, spots of silicon in cockpit.
On Facebook I saw on the "Dufour Association" that many others have problems as well. The lady who owns the new 560 involved a lawyer to get problems fixed.
I git a contact from Dufour Marketing who passed my long list to the after sales team, They will take care they said. Until now nobody contacted me.

How is your experience ?

Milva

Sad but true

Post by Milva » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:59 am

Mine experience is more or less the same. We have a GL 425 which needed a LOT of modifcations and enhancments before we were able to sail in waves.
The newer generations of Dufour GL i saw were built in even lower quality than mine (9 Years old) and, with much smaller rig gear (Winches, booms...) The shame is that Dufour decrease their quality level for saving a small amount of money, like for bolts, nuts and washers...adn rig stuff that is just a little too small..

The good news: I still LOVE the design of our 425, the room layout and i would not exchange with any other boat in my harbour..but i invested a lot of work and time in my boat, like all the other boat owners...thats what they call sailing :lol:

My advice: Print out a T-Shirt "Fixing the french shit", check your boat from nose to tail, enhance and strenght you boat for sea worthiness.

I made a formerly post in this forum with some pictures of my enhancments...i'm still working and finding what i call
Dufour-Workspaces...

If you want, i can post some more pics of enhanced details which you will probably also find on your boat.

Kepp smiling

Roman
SY Milva

Many thanks to Michael for this forum.

hloerch

A lot of comments on Facebook

Post by hloerch » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:22 pm

On Facebook you will find a lot of Dufour owners where have havily concerns with the Quality of newer Dufour Yachts.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/444995812258582/

Most of the owners wait since month of solutions to fix their problems.

Milva

Don't wait

Post by Milva » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:47 am

Help yourself, don't complain - it's no use.

When you think from the Dufour side, they have to develop brand new models of sailing boats in short terms for a sales of maybe 400 ex. not like the car industry where they sell maybe 1 million pieces of one model.
They don't develop a specific model like Hallberg Rassy does, they have to show a brand new design on the next boat show - the manufacturers have to sell and follow the latest trends because they want your best - your money!

Your advantage is a modern boat with a well developed hull and a new motor for a competitve price compared to a HR, for example.

Now you have to modify and enhance your boat, i think there is no way around otherwise you should have bought a used one from a experienced sailor on which you also have to work - guarenteed!

If you post your worst topics, maybe me or some other forum members can help or have some hints for you.

Cheers
Roman
SY Milva

hloerch

Minimum on quality and value for money

Post by hloerch » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:50 am

When you buy a new sailing boat you expect a minimum on quality.
I agree that a Dufour Yacht is not by far a Swan or Halberg. When in the pantry you have so many gaps between the furniture and big plates that you can be injured so it´s a sign of lousy quality. When you by a VW car you expect as well that everything works, of course you can´t compare the interior with a Mercedes.
I had 4 years ago the Dufour 335 as new. When we got this boat, it was perfect. No problems, everything works. But the quality of the GL 450 is so poor and the after sales service shows no reaction when you contact Dufour.
In my point of view it goes in the direction of fraud.
Please understand me correct. I have no problem to fix rattling noises etc by my self, but when the Gelcoat becomes cracks. so it´s a complain in my point of view. May Dufour should do a few Trade Shows less and should invest in quality assurance.

Milva

You are right

Post by Milva » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:28 am

I totally agree with you. I don't understand the dufour policy in quality and developemnt purposes either. :(
SY Milva

New Attitude

Post by New Attitude » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 pm

when you say "newer" - roughly what yearsmodels do you have in mind?

hloerch

Post by hloerch » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:36 pm

New Attitude wrote:when you say "newer" - roughly what yearsmodels do you have in mind?
When you read different forums you see owners 382, 560, 450 who are struggling.

halfdan

Bad bonding between innerliner and hull

Post by halfdan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Thank you for arranging this forum for Dufour owners.

We bought a beautiful GL 405 in 2011. There were some minor issues as always with new boats but our dealer went bankrupt and we had to sort it out privately (gelcoat issues amongst other).

After the first season we took the boat out of the water and I noticed small cracks between the keel and hull. As we had no dealer to talk to I wrote to Dufour and asked nicely what this was. Response was to not worry.
The next year, after the season, I noticed the crack had become greater. Same response from Dufour (they had a new dealer this time). I really wanted Dufour to take a look at the boat but they refused to look at it.

In 2015 I planned to do a regatta with the boat and due to my concerns relating to the cracks the Dufour dealer recommended me to hire a good surveyor. This surveyor is well known and respected in the community. He came to the conclusion that the boat is not seaworthy due to bad bonding between inner lining and hull. The report was sent to Dufour and they just wrote back that this was not a problem, any cracks around keelbolts should be fixed with gelcoat and the crack between the keel and hull should be filled with silicone and repainted. The surveyors report has been backed up with a documented part repair (missing bonding is documented). Sadly, it seems that a larger area has lack of bonding (both stern and aft), so the whole boat has to be stripped and the inner lining and hull must be relaminated to the hull.

I have come in contact with several Dufour owners now, with similar or other problems, and would be interested in hearing your stories.

During this time, I have also learned that this problem is sadly quite common. Please use a surveyor before buying a Dufour boat (or any other mass produced boat). For Dufour, a category A boat is just another letter in the alphabet.

With best regards,
Halfdan A. Solberg

Michael Boe
Site Admin

Post by Michael Boe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Halfdan,

I know you have gone trough a court case in Norway meeting up against Dufour. If you are up for it you are very welcome to share your story here.

Best regards,
Michael

KENOBI

Post by KENOBI » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 am

My unpleasant experience with DUFOUR:
In 2007 I bought a new Dufour 40 performance. As soon as I received it, I complained to the distributor in Spain (MOTYVEL) about the continuous crunching and movement of bulkheads, bending the deck when I stepped on some areas and detaching the silicone from the bulkheads. His answer was that they were unimportant aesthetic problems. Not satisfied with the response and seeing the bad treatment received from the distributor (MOTYVEL), I hired a naval architect and a lawyer and denounced the DUFOUR shipyard and the MOTYVEL distributor for the bad quality of the ship based on the fact that it did not meet the requirements for ocean navigation. (navigation category A).
I won the trial after 3 years, and the judge condemned them to take the DUFOUR 40 performance because they did not comply with the oceanic navigation requirements and to deliver to me a new boat. At that time the D40 was no longer manufactured and they had to give me a DUFOUR 40E.
I had the D 40E from 2010 to 2017. I did not have as many problems as the D40 performance, but it continued with crackle of bulkheads and little rigidity of the hull.
Dufour has a disappointing quality and I think it is getting worse.
I finally sold it last year and bought a new boat from another shipyard.

KENOBI