Main Sail Identification

General discussion, questions and comments about the new Dufour series
bbrooks

Main Sail Identification

Post by bbrooks » Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm

I have a 2013 Dufour GL and my main sail has nothing on, no numbers, no letters, nothing. All my previous sailboats had letters and number (ex. GBR###, KA####). I expect to get a new main sail soon and I wish to have some identification on the sail. Can any tell me why they do not put the hull number on the main sail. My hull number is DUFF1535G313 so I assume my boat was the No. 1535 off the line. But not sure.

Michael Boe
Site Admin

Re: Main Sail Identification

Post by Michael Boe » Fri May 31, 2019 10:12 pm

I don't think your hull number makes sense in the sail. Never heard about that before.

You could get a national sail number if you have your boat measured. Or since you are probably not racing you could just have a large Dufour logo made.

TimOnders

Re: Main Sail Identification

Post by TimOnders » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:19 am

Sail numbers are normally assigned by the national racing authority (e.g. US Sailing in the US). You don't usually need to have the boat measured to have sail numbers assigned (particularly since boats may be rated under a variety of different rating systems).

There are also one-design classes out there (e.g. J class, Q class, Farr 40, etc.). In those cases, I think the sail number actually does match the hull number. Those are managed by the class associations. At present, I don't think there are any Dufour one-designs - Dufour certainly varied the designs sufficiently to prevent one.

Cheers,
Tim