D34 Gennaker / asymmetric

Seeking advice for a project or do you want to share the outcome of one? Various technical tips and questions.
Petit Fours

D34 Gennaker / asymmetric

Post by Petit Fours » Tue May 12, 2009 12:46 pm

I am looking to fit a gennaker to our 34 this summer and wondered whether anyone had some basic pointers and things to bear in mind eg sail area, weight of cloth, snuffer vs roller, halyard spec, absolute need for adjustable tack etc. We are not intending to race her and want some more fun and a little extra speed off the wind and would fly up to max of beaufort f4-5 - mostly two handed.

All views welcomed!

thanks

Peter

Tandala

Post by Tandala » Wed May 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Peter,

We went for a cruising chute this winter to give us additional speed in lighter winds. We cruise not race...but still like cruising faster than others around us! The sail was supplied by Sanders in Lymington - I found Peter Sanders and his team to be very helpful and I am very pleased with the performance of the sail - it is easy to hoist and drop using the snuffer and the lift it gives the boat under sail is really impressive.

Graham
Graham
D34 Tandala

ccknudsen

Gennarker control

Post by ccknudsen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:02 am

Hi, I have some 10 years experience with gennaker on a 40 ft. fast cruiser. I have found a very good way to always control and to avoid critical situations. I mounted barber halls as you use them on normal spinnarkers in both sides. The outgoing point of the barberhall is aprx. 1-2 meter behind the topstay. This helps you to be able to neutralize the sail under any condition avoiding the wind to slip in to the gennarker behind the mainsail, when releasing the downhall in front bottum of the sail. (I am danish, and not sure the words are uses right, but I try my best). So whenever to much wind or when taking the gennarker in, you just pull the barber hall placed behind the mainsail and release the bottumfromt hall, and the sail is total in control behind the main. From here you can pull it down, or pull the front downhall back, release the barberhall, and continue the sailing.
This gives you full control, and you do NOT have to look at that stupid sock hanging in the top of the sail.
This is not used by many, but others how have seen my wife and me sailing 135 m2 gennarker in rough wind, have used the system ever after.
Dimensions of ropes on our 34 ft. Dufour are Barberhall: 5 mm, halyard: 8 mm.
Good luck with your new sail.

Best regards Christian

Tandala

Post by Tandala » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:02 am

Christian,
sorry about the delay replying; do you have any photographs of your barber haulers in use? I have not sailed with a conventional spinnaker so do not fully understand all of the elements you describe.

We have just returned from a cruise to Alderney, Guernsey, Dielette and Cherbourg during which we made good use of the chute - I remain very pleased with it and the way it lifts the performance of the boat. The downside is that it is a huge sail to haul in and out of the boat when hoisting or dropping it.
If I had one regret about my D34, it would be the absence of a sensible sized hatch on the foredeck through which we could lift or drop sails. In the right conditions I do drop it through the main cabin roof hatch, but do have to be careful not to damage the woodwork inside.

Having said that we did blast back across the Channel at speeds of between 7 and 8 knots much of the time in 18 knts true wind - 11.5 hours from Cherbourg marina to ashore at Beaulieu in the Solent (approx 74nms) - which is what I love about this boat!

Graham
Graham
D34 Tandala

Maatskip

Gennaker @ 34P

Post by Maatskip » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 pm

I've both gennaker and spinnaker. Manufactured by Van der Werf in NL, nice price good quality ( www.zeilmakerij.com ). Photographs can been seen on my blog: www.maatskip.blogspot.com
The gennaker can by used (depending on the course) up to app. 20-25 kts of wind at 90-100 degrees app. wind, above the wind angle has to be bigger. With light winds the gennaker can be used up to app. 60 degrees, above that the genua gives us more speed. I use a special furler with an closed loop line, which is removable at the 'anchor-holder'. This works pretty wel, only with strong winds the gennaker sometimes wants to unfurl again before we have it down...
Good luck with it!
Menno
Maatskip" - NED 7605
Dufour 34 Performance
www.maatskip.nl