Keelbolt backing plates

Seeking advice for a project or do you want to share the outcome of one? Various technical tips and questions.
Bruce3477

Keelbolt backing plates

Post by Bruce3477 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 am

I have had complete and/or partial failure of the factory fitted keelboat backing plates on a 2004 D-34 Performance. Anybody interested in how remedied the above, drop me a mail.

Petit Fours

D34 Leaks

Post by Petit Fours » Thu May 12, 2011 9:59 am

Hi Bruce. I saw your post and it is of interest to me given my fun and games on our boat. we took delivery of our D34 (hull 666) in 2009 and for 18months or so it took on water collecting in the dust tray area. not major amounts but up to 20litres a day. really annoying. Marco marine took very seriously, to their credit, and it was eventually rectified by them removing the keel, resealing and reconnecting. it wasn't 100% conclusive that this was the cause as they also resealed the transom to the hull at the same time but they thought the transom less likely to be the source of the problem. I also could not trace any ingress that far back in the boat. Anyway, the problem was cured and no return since. it would be good to hear more about your specific issue.

i also had a fresh water leak problem for some time which seems to have been much worse than the regular one cited by many owners in relation to the sealed HWS and the purging of water via the pressure release valve. after a handful of trips out, the PRV would fail to bed back perfectly with the result of a constant weep of water and a load of water in my bilge. as you may know its a pain to remove it all from the dust tray area. i eventually fitted an expansion tank to the system over Christmas and happy to report zero water escaping since. total cost of job, about £25 and perhaps 2 hours of my time.

Bruce3477

Update on keelboat backing plates

Post by Bruce3477 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:31 am

Brianj34p

Re: Keelbolt backing plates

Post by Brianj34p » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 am

Hello Bruce and interested members,
I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 D34 P and have two photos , the one in the subfloor is concerning, and the other shows the hull to keel join and is this look normal fit standard.?
Really appreciate your thoughts on the split in the sub floor area and hope it’s cosmetic .
I plan to remove the saloon table and lift up the cabin sole for a better view.
I am having the yacht lifted out in a travel lift and hoe to observe any movement with the crack when lifted out and when placed on the ground.
Appreciate any feedback here as I do not want to buy an expensive repair experience, but Ido want to buy a D34P and other than this it looks great.
Regards Brian
Apologies the second photo is saying size is too large, and sorry for repeating posts as well :wink:
Attachments
4EB07F86-5E21-4673-8235-8954EDA2A37F.jpeg
4EB07F86-5E21-4673-8235-8954EDA2A37F.jpeg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 55 times