40e

Seeking advice for a project or do you want to share the outcome of one? Various technical tips and questions.
Norman

40e

Post by Norman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 am

Can anyone give me details of the backing plates for the keel bolts of the 40e?
I have a client looking at the 40e but we do nota have one here and he has also asked me about the shape of the lead/iron keel as opposed to the standard and if the improved performance is worth the extra money.
I would very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.
Other questions:
Are there batten cars with the standrad sails?
Where do the engine room venilation hoses vent to?
What model is the 2 blade folding propeller?
What make and material are the sea cocks?
How much space is there for additional batteries?
Thanks and regards
Norman Gee
Dufour dealer in Auckland, New Zealand.

Hamble Marine Surveys

Re: 40e

Post by Hamble Marine Surveys » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Norman wrote:Can anyone give me details of the backing plates for the keel bolts of the 40e?
I have a client looking at the 40e but we do nota have one here and he has also asked me about the shape of the lead/iron keel as opposed to the standard and if the improved performance is worth the extra money.
I would very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.
Other questions:
Are there batten cars with the standrad sails?
Where do the engine room venilation hoses vent to?
What model is the 2 blade folding propeller?
What make and material are the sea cocks?
How much space is there for additional batteries?
Thanks and regards
Norman,

I can't answer all your questions, but will answer what I can.

1. I do not have the exact specification of the square keel bolt backing plates, but I recall they looked identical to the other backing plates used on other models and I recall they all came from the same container when used in the factory, irrespective of model.

2. Simple answer to your question on keels is the difference is small and the cost of the optional lead keel significant, which is why very few lead keels have been sold.

3. If you opt for the standard rig OEM standard Elvstrom sails are supplied with Antal cars at the batten ends as the sail is fully battened. Intermediate cars and normally plastic slides. On the Tall rig option no sails are supplied unless opted for.

4. If my memory is correct the ventilation points for the engine room are aft of the steering wheel I recall facing inboard where the transom door folds down.

5. The standard engine is the Volvo D2-40. The propeller as standard is a Volvo Penta folding prop.

6. The seacocks are all DZR brass but I do not recall the exact French manufacturer.

7. There is adequate room for several additional batteries if you wish. The battery storage aft of the engine between the aft cabins is designed for the two service batteries and above the engine the engine battery, but there is additional storage areas available in the vicinity.

Best regards,

Julian Smith
10 years experience working with Dufour Yachts in UK. Marine Consultant and Surveyor offering marine services worldwide. www.hamblemarinesurveys.com