Leaking main hatch

Seeking advice for a project or do you want to share the outcome of one? Various technical tips and questions.
paultheboat

Leaking main hatch

Post by paultheboat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 am

Our 2005 D34 leaks through the main hatch when the boat rolls either during heavy rain or heavy weather sailing. Water collects in the garage area and slops over the sill and runs into the cabin.
We do not have a spray hood and even if we fitted one it would not be up whilst sailing.
Have any other D34 owners experienced this problem and how have you resolved it?
Any hints would be appreciated.
Good sailing

Artko

Post by Artko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:57 pm

My 2005 D385GL has a similar problem- during heavy rain water comes inside the engine room. I use a sprayhood which keeps off most of the rain, but if the rain is heavy enough and lasts longer it starts dropping insinde the engine room. The water comes through the gaps between the sound insulation mats.
Has anybody experiance with a leakage in the range of the hatch garage over the saloon entrance?

Milva

Re: Leaking main hatch

Post by Milva » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:26 am

Yes me..;=) In my case, a 425 GL build 2007, the water came from inside the table. The metall foot of the table, a metallic tube, leads cables from inside the boat to the cockpit. Theoretically it's impossibe for the water to enter the foot from the top, but the rain can rinse down the cable and thats how the water find it's way. Check the cable in the table! in my case i can open a plastik hatch to see the situation. I filled the tube with a sealant. Don't forget to induct some spare cables for the future, maybe you need some.

Cheers
SY Milva

Many thanks to Michael for this forum.