Some annual survey issues

Seeking advice for a project or do you want to share the outcome of one? Various technical tips and questions.
Steven Brown

Some annual survey issues

Post by Steven Brown » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:48 pm

In my annual look over the boat out of the water, I have a few questions, and wonder if anyone knows the answer, before I ask a surveyor:
- I have cracking of the GRP where what looks like the internal liner is bonded to the hull around the depth sounder sensor head. All the cracks are internal, no sign of any problem externally, and no ingress of water. Anyone had that?
- where the hull and keel join, there is cracking of the antifouling. There is no sign of significant movement, just slight cracking along the join, and the join looks to be filled with flexible filler. Is cracking normal?
- I have developed a squeak in the steering, which I think is in the rudder post bearing. It only appears above F5 close hauled (I know, just sail downwind above F5!). Any ideas on how to lubricate?

Mini

Annual inspection

Post by Mini » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:53 pm

where the hull and keel join, there is cracking of the antifouling. There is no sign of significant movement, just slight cracking along the join, and the join looks to be filled with flexible filler. Is cracking normal?

I would imagine that it is normal for the antifouling to crack a little where the keel is joined to the hull, this is because it is applied to a flexible medium. It has to be like this because the flexible filler will expand and extract due to changes in the temperature of the surroundings.
Sail now, work later.

Martin Bølgen

Post by Martin Bølgen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:39 am

Hi!
A little late answer, but still....

I would NOT have liked the crack in the innerliner. The reason for saying that, is the fact that Dufour has had problems with the bonding between the hull and the inner liner.... It was a problem on the boat I bought, before I bougt it... The whole innerliner in the forepeak actually came loose! The innerliner was "rebuilt", and fixed to the hull "the old way", so now it is not a innerliner but a part of the hull. I'm very satified...

I've heard of more of this, so I would reccomend a thoroughly inspection of the innerliner of the front section...

M

Michael Boe
Site Admin

Post by Michael Boe » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Any pointers on how to inspect?

Martin Bølgen

Post by Martin Bølgen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:02 pm

No, not actually.
This is NOT only concerning Dufour, but it is not always easy to get precise informations.

I would not assume that the error rate is "serious". Then there would have been more complains.

I suppose that if you have been out in rough seas, and noticed nothing, the bonding will hold. I would have inspected cracks and other minor damages.

An inspection by factory or dealer technicians should be good enogh, I think.

johnbenq

Post by johnbenq » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:49 am

We are looking at a new 325 and if there are liner bonding issues, we would be very concerned.

What models do these liner issues apply to?

Thanks in advance.

Martin Bølgen

Bonding issue

Post by Martin Bølgen » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi!
I don't think you should be concerned. This bonding problem apply to "all" manufacutrers, and will be handeled by the manufacurers warranty.

Anyway, it looks like the problem increases by size. Bonding problems are rare.Technicians told me that the 325 don't have had any such problems.

johnbenq

Liner Glassed to Hull?

Post by johnbenq » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 pm

I understood that the liner was glued and glassed to the hull in the Dufours.

If that is correct, then I can't see how the liner could separate from the hull even if the adhesive failed.

Brisa del mar

Re: Some annual survey issues

Post by Brisa del mar » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Steven Brown wrote:In my annual look over the boat out of the water, I have a few questions, and wonder if anyone knows the answer, before I ask a surveyor:
- I have cracking of the GRP where what looks like the internal liner is bonded to the hull around the depth sounder sensor head. All the cracks are internal, no sign of any problem externally, and no ingress of water. Anyone had that?
- where the hull and keel join, there is cracking of the antifouling. There is no sign of significant movement, just slight cracking along the join, and the join looks to be filled with flexible filler. Is cracking normal?
- I have developed a squeak in the steering, which I think is in the rudder post bearing. It only appears above F5 close hauled (I know, just sail downwind above F5!). Any ideas on how to lubricate?
Can I ask how the problem was solved?
Regards Thorbjørn

fotis

Keel problem

Post by fotis » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:50 pm

any ideas how to deal with this? 460 GL 2019 model