Rudder problem D40 E Performance built 2013

Seeking advice for a project or do you want to share the outcome of one? Various technical tips and questions.
Roorda

Rudder problem D40 E Performance built 2013

Post by Roorda » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:47 pm

My rudder is making a lot of noise during sailing or motoring on moderate or heavier seas.
ther are 2 teflon rings on the rudder shaft sliding onto each other and supported axially (downwards) on the rudder housing on to the hull.
Also 1ring moves around about 6 mm (1/4") and makes a squeezing noise.
Somebody knows this problem?
The Dufour Yard remains quiet. But I claim warranty.

Post by Avatar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:15 am

Hi. I have recently purchased a 40e second hand in Stockholm and experienced exactly the same thing. The noise was very loud grinding especially when the boat was heeled over. I had the boat lifted and the rudder dropped. It was apparent that nylon collar which sits inside the stern tube was the wrong diameter. It was too small and had broken away from the stern tube allowing the rudder stock to move laterally. The solution was to have the yard machine a new collar which was wider in diameter and also deeper. This has solved the problem.

Roorda

Post by Roorda » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:22 pm

hI Avastar,

as you describe the problem is not at all identical. You write about a nylon collar inside the stern tube. My problem was that the stern tube is too flexible and that the 2 nylon collars on top of the stern tube were moving aganist each other as a belly dancer. This resulted in friction and load movements. Dufour finally, after about 6 months of discussion finally accepted to add a reinforcement of the stern tube by mounting a metal ring around the stern tube and support this additional collar against the sides of the rear cabins, also behind the engine compartment. This solved the problem. Afterwards this is a known problem and varies from vessel to vessel. The work has been proposed and executed profesionnally by Miguel Guimares of Debrobeventos in Lisbon, Portugal. Thanks here to Miguel.
It is a pity that the modifications took so long to accept and getting approved by Dufour service.

Saila Sailing

Post by Saila Sailing » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:05 am

Roorda wrote:Dufour finally, after about 6 months of discussion finally accepted to add a reinforcement of the stern tube by mounting a metal ring around the stern tube and support this additional collar against the sides of the rear cabins, also behind the engine compartment. This solved the problem.
Hi Roorda,

Do you have any photos of this modification? I'm very interested in the way they reinforced your rudder tube.
Dufour 405 'Saila'
www.sailasailing.nl

Roorda

Post by Roorda » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:05 am

good morning,

unfortunately I haven!t made a picture. I will go to the yacht not before May 16.
A collar around the stern tube has been made, height about 100 mm.
This collar is sideways supported to the wooden pannels, along ships, one to the berth on port side and the other to the berth on Star board.

It works, over 1500 miles this summer no problem any more. Work propoerly done by Descobreventos in Portugal, Thanks Miguel.

jcjglt

Rudder post

Post by jcjglt » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:30 am

Here is the way Dufour builds a rudder assembly on a 375GL : no reinforcement, just amazing...Image

RichardGr

Re: Rudder problem D40 E Performance built 2013

Post by RichardGr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is an old thread but maybe you can give me a little more insight on a similar problem I am having on my 2017 350GL. The rudder post squeaking has reached a constant at all times either at the dock or sailing. Seems there is a couple of ways to deal with this. Either support the post better or replace the nylon bearings. After some passage of time how are these corrections working? There is some evidence of white dust between the stacked nylon bushings but no sign of cracks. I can move the bushings by hand, by moving the quadrant and holding the bushings in place by hand, and the rudder post tube does flex but, to me, it looks like the rudder shaft is held in place, laterally, by the top and bottom bearings and the tube just takes the compression load(weight of the rudder).
Attachments
post B .JPG
post B .JPG (104.16 KiB) Viewed 703 times
post A.JPG
post A.JPG (103.3 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Thanks,
Richard