Depth sounder settings

General discussion, questions and comments about the Grand Large series
davel

Depth sounder settings

Post by davel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:26 am

My water depth instrument has been set by the dealer to some random distance below the bottom of the keel, which is less than totally useless.
I would prefer it to show the actual water depth, so was wondering if anyone could advise me how far below the water line the transducer is located so I can put the negative offset into the ST60 and make the information displayed useful

Jh001

425GL

Post by Jh001 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Dave

Hope the boat is going well. The offset can be changed, the handbook shows how to do this. The offset is obviously the difference between the depth of the transducer and the underside of the keel (depending on what keel option you have). A few people I know will (on a very calm day in a well known area with a soft bottom) gently touch the keel on the bottom and set the instrument to zero then or say -0.1m if you need a safty margin, seems to be logical and you know it will be accurate.

On a separate note, do you have a storm jib for the inner forestay? If so could you please let me have the sail dimensions, I don't have my inner fitted yet but need to get the sail order under way.

Thanks

Jerry