Condensation

General discussion, questions and comments about the Grand Large series
Klaus Johansen

Condensation

Post by Klaus Johansen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Has anyone experienced problems with condensation in the front cabin of the 385. We have just ended our first summer with the 385 and as soon as temperatur drops in the night we see lots of condensation. It really drips during the night. It does not condensate on the horizontal deck only on the oblique part of the ceiling.
Klaus Johansen

Hamble Marine Surveys

Post by Hamble Marine Surveys » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi there,

I know several Dufour 385 owners and owners of 365 and other models in the grand large range. Most have reported in the past at some stage condensation to varying degrees. The solid deck construction with limited through ventilation is the cause. Solution is when on board have good through ventilation by opening partially the deck hatches or have the heating on, when not on board use a dehumidifier or keep the inside warmed using an oil filled electric heater.
10 years experience working with Dufour Yachts in UK. Marine Consultant and Surveyor offering marine services worldwide. www.hamblemarinesurveys.com

Chara

condebsation in a dufour 385 grand large

Post by Chara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi,

we experienced the same problem in Holland this autumn, when sleeping aboard and outside temp drops from 15 degrees to 5 degrees, the water dropped from the ceiling and woke me up when it dripped on my face and on the bedsheets. Í've now got the perfect solution by using a honeywell dehumifier, it makes less noise than the heather, and keeps the boat perfectly dry. When we emptied the watertank which will hold 8 liters of water we had after 1 night at least 3 liters of water, which otherwise would have dripped from the ceiling and the windows.

Peter Palmboom
S/Y Chara

Michael Boe
Site Admin

Post by Michael Boe » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi Chara,

Can you inform about the Honeywell model number?

Thanks,
Michael